Students possess various views about same-sex parenting

Stock Photo

Homosexuality has emerged as a “normalized sexual and lifestyle practice” in mainstream media. Famous musical artists like Lil Nas X have gained Billboard success while outwardly promoting homosexuality.

Tammia Jacobs, Hornet Living Editor

Societal attitudes toward homosexuality vary significantly amongst different cultures, periods and age groups. Thereby, attitudes toward sexual desire, activity and relationships in general also vary largely in different circles. All cultures have their own values regarding appropriate and inappropriate sexuality. While some sanction same-sex love and sexuality, others may disapprove of such activities in part. 

Since the 1970s, much of the world has become more accepting of homosexual acts and relationships. 

Three factors can explain national differences in acceptance: 

• The strength of democratic institutions
  • The level of economic development
  • The religious context of the places where people live. 

In contrast to historical periods, in modern society, homosexuality has emerged as a “normalized sexual and lifestyle practice” in mainstream media. Famous musical artists like Lil Nas X have gained Billboard success while outwardly promoting homosexuality. 

The acceptance of homosexuality on such a large scale can be accounted to the youth who seem to be eager to dismiss themselves from the constricting domestic ideologies of their parent’s generation. For instance, many students attending Alabama State University have a proactive attitude regarding same-sex couples deciding  to raise children.

The equality and non-discrimination guarantee provided by international human rights law applies to all people, regardless of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity or another status. (Stock Photo)

“Equal rights should be applied to everyone,” junior communications major Rodney Henderson said. “Civilized societies shouldn’t discriminate on the grounds of race, creed, gender or sexuality. Denying equal rights to gay couples is clear discrimination. Gay and heterosexual couples deserve the same legal rights to adopt. Anything less is pure inequality based on homophobia.”

According to the Political Youth Network, “The equality and non-discrimination guarantee provided by international human rights law applies to all people, regardless of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity or another status.” There is no hidden exemption clause in any of our human rights treaties that might allow a state to guarantee full rights to some but withhold them from others purely based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

“Gay couples can be just as good at parenting as straight couples,” notes sophomore accounting major Desiree Harris. “I actually think that homosexual couples can potentially be better motivated and more committed than heterosexual parents because they always choose to have children, unlike the majority of straight couples who stumble into parenthood by accident. Many gay couples form relationships that are more stable than many heterosexual marriages, giving adopted children a secure, emotionally-stable home.”

Societal attitudes toward homosexuality vary significantly amongst different cultures, periods and age groups. (Stock Photo)

“Children adopted by gay couples weren’t taken from happy heterosexual families,” senior public relations major Jeseun Frazier said. “Most come from orphanages, foster homes or single moms unable to cope with addiction. The family, gay or straight, is better than the alternatives. Given the lack of suitable straight couples, gay adoption can provide kids with the loving homes they need. That’s good for children, good for couples wanting to raise a child and good for society.”

In contrast, some students feel opposition to gay adoption is not bad but rather a respect for moral scruples. 

“Democracy doesn’t always achieve the outcome you want. Yet, we have to respect the democratic decision of people who vote for politicians and governments that oppose gay adoption,” notes freshman criminal justice major Carl Knight.

“This is a country that houses many different religions,” notes junior marketing major Claire Nobles. “Gay parenting fundamentally counters many people’s religious views. Legalizing it would offend cherished beliefs and further undermine the key role religion plays as a moral foundation society.”

Societies that embrace diversity are stronger and better off. Children raised by gay couples may have different outlooks, which does not have to be looked at as a negative outcome. Perhaps, it is beneficial to raise society’s future children to accept different familial relationships.