SGA Chief Justice administers oath to SGA executives

PHOTO BY DAVID OLANIRAN/MANAGING EDITOR FOR VISUAL AND MULTIMEDIA

Student Government Association Chief Justice Alexis McDaniel administers the Oath of Office to Student Body President Gem Richardson during the formal swearing in of the executive and legislative officers that was held on Aug. 30 in Abernathy Hall.

Carmell J. Sanders, Staff Reporter/Writer

Jeremi Moore, Student Body Treasurer, Dy’Oni Charlton, Student Body Secretary and Jaylan Brown, SGA Vice President wait patiently before they are administered the Oath of Affirmation. (PHOTO BY DAVID OLANIRAN/MANAGING EDITOR FOR VISUAL AND MULTIMEDIA)

Sparks flew, literally, in the Ralph David Abernathy Hall auditorium on the evening of Aug. 30, as the new executive officers and members of both the executive and legislative cabinet of Alabama State University’s Student Government Association (SGA) were sworn in.Aside from the delayed start and the collapse of some of the decor, the ceremony was nothing short of inspiring. The auditorium was draped in white and accented with blue and red lighting that signaled an official ceremony.
Chief Justice Alexis McDaniel, administered the Oath of Affirmation to 39 committee members and SGA interns.
She then administered the Oath of Affirmation individually to Student Body Secretary Dy’Oni Charlton, Student Body Treasurer Jeremi Moore, Student Body Vice President Jaylan Brown, and Student Body President Gem Richardson.
Richardson’s sorority sister, Christian Nash, gave a brief introduction before Richardson delivered her inaugural address in which she shared information about herself and her vision for the student body.
Richardson, who was the SGA president during her senior year in high school informed the audience that she is a former member of The Hornet Tribune and a current member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. She also said her inspiration to run for SGA president came when she became a member of the First Year Leaders Empowerment Academy. She thanked her parents and family for her successes. During her speech, Richardson’s warm spirit could be felt throughout the entire auditorium.
President Quinton T. Ross Jr., Ed.D., attended, giving a strong and supportive welcome speech. He acknowledged this majority-female cabinet.
“That is historical,” he said. The current president and vice president duo is also the first female duo to serve these positions in the last decade.
Following Ross’s speech Kendra Angion, Miss Alabama State University, gave a speech in which she said that she entrusted the new SGA president to “lead the nest to new heights.”
Also in attendance was SGA presidents from Tuskegee University and Fort Valley State University.
Tuskegee University’s SGA President wished Richardson much success in her endeavor.
Garren M. Walker, SGA president for Fort Valley State University shared his thoughts regarding Richardson.
“You have a beautiful prize possession as an SGA President,” Walker said.
Richardson noted that this is the second administration to lead students through a global pandemic.
“We pledge to work diligently,” Richardson said, “advocate for students and create lasting change on ASU’s campus. We are here to serve.”