The Hornet Tribune

Go Blue! Sasha Obama Heads To the University Of Michigan This Fall

Back to Article
Back to Article

While Malia Obama is away at Harvard University, her little sister, Sasha Obama is on her to way to the “Harvard of the Midwest,” the University of Michigan.

According to the Detroit News, Sasha was seen on the Ann Arbor campus attending summer freshman orientation and this week had men by her side believed to be Secret Service agents.

“I was walking by pushing a vacuum and she walked out right in front of me,” said Zach Lassen, a third-year film student told the newspaper. “I said, ‘Excuse me.’ It was a crowded hallway with her and some Secret Service dudes.”

While Lassen said some of his co-workers were annoyed by all the extra security, he didn’t mind at all.

“It’s pretty cool.”

A rep from UM would not confirm Sasha’s enrollment, telling the Detroit News, “We cannot confirm the enrollment of any student. Classes do not start until next week, and we are weeks away from official enrollment information.”

While we know that that Sasha’s parents, former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama attended Ivy League schools for their undergrad degrees—Columbia University in New York City and Princeton in New Jersey—students at UM seem excited that this Big Ten school is where the former First daughter wanted to attend for the next four years.

“I think it’s cool that even though her family went to Ivy League schools, she decided that UM was the caliber high enough to match that of an Ivy League school,” Jessica Brinser said.

Brinser wishes Obama well.

“We hope she finds her fit here just like we all have,” she said. “We all love it here. We hope she does, too.”

Folks had plenty to say about the teen’s choice of college, that, and they were relieved to know that this was why she was trending on Twitter.