The Hornet Tribune

Hornets lose to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff

Back to Article
Back to Article

MONTGOMERY, Ala. | Alabama State dropped their third consecutive contest despite a double-double from Tobi Ewuosho in a 75-69 home loss to UAPB at the Dunn-Oliver Acadome in Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) action Saturday night.

The loss at home was the first for Alabama State this season, and the loss is the third straight – the first time the Hornets have lost three straight since the end of December. Alabama State is still winless in the month of February.

Ewuosho finished with his second double-double of the season against UAPB (8-15, 5-5 SWAC), finishing with 12 points and 10 rebounds off the bench. The junior finished 3-of-5 from the floor and also converted 6-of-8 of his free throws in the loss.

Ewuosho finished with his second double-double in conference play this season, and his second against UAPB. He recorded 11 points and 12 rebounds in the first matchup in Arkansas.

Fausto Pichardo came off the bench to add 11 points six rebounds for Alabama State (8-13, 6-4 SWAC), while Reginald Gee finished with 12.

Pichardo scored in double figures for the first time since the Boise State contest back in December when he scored 11 points in the loss. He finished with just one missed shot from the floor and one missed free throw on the night.

Alabama State shot 38.6 (22-of-57) percent from the floor and 22.2 (4-of-18) percent from beyond the arc, while also shooting 70 (21-of-30) percent from the free throw line. The Hornets also outrebounded UAPB 40-32, and forced 18 turnovers in the loss.

Meanwhile, Shaun Doss led the Golden Lions with 25 points on a perfect night shooting the basketball, as he connected on all eight of his field goal opportunities and all seven free throws. Martaveous McKnight finished with 15 and Terrance Banyard for UAPB, who finished the night shooting 57.1 (24-of-42) percent from the floor and 54.5 (6-of-11) percent from beyond the arc.

The Hornets bench outscored UAPB 43-15, and won every major statistical category with the exception of shooting as UAPB shot nearly 60 percent on the night.

“We missed some key free throws tonight, we come down and we do all that work to get to the line and just couldn’t convert. Then we work hard and serve up a loose ball, and give them another chance and they either convert or get to the free throw line, we just have to a better job of that defensively to limit their chances. We just have to continue to work,” said head coach Lewis Jackson on the play tonight against UAPB
“Tobi and Fox played really well for us tonight. They both played strong and really attacked when we need them to, I just hate it for Tobi with that last foul to out McKnight at the free throw line with just under a minute to play. We just needed a good defensive stop, and we just committed that foul right there at half court on him. Our effort as a team is good, we just have to find a way to finish. This loss will do us some good tonight, and maybe it will bring the guys back down some to realize they still have some work to do. We just have to realize we have to play with the sense of urgency we used to get back into the game, the whole game to give ourselves a chance.”

“We tried to match them shot for shot a little bit, and we knew their guys had the green light to shoot any time they bring the ball down. We just have to make them work harder with their shots, and make ours count when we get the opportunity.”