The Hornet Tribune

Hornets looking forward to 77th Magic City Classic weekend

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s that time of the year again. Students are beginning  to prepare for the biggest HBCU football classic in the country. The Magic City Classic!

“It’s necessary for all students to experience Magic City, it’s a tradition and something that they will never forget,” senior graphic design major and Jacksonville,Fla. native, Brandi Carroway, said that she has attended Magic City Classic all four years while attending ASU.

The Magic City Classic is the traditional, rivalry game against Alabama A&M University and Alabama State University, bringing in over 60,000 attendees each year. And record crowd of 70,813 in 2017.

The two rivals meet in the middle of the state, in Birmingham,Ala., at the Legion Field, each year. This will be the 77th match up between the two.

But, Magic City Classic does not just stop at the football  game. It’s a week full of fun and meet and greets. There’s luncheons, banquets, a parade, and even a concert by a special guest each year.

Sophomore chemistry major, Nicholas Anthony is from Nashville,Ten and says “I wouldn’t dare miss MCC .I always attend the parade, game, and post game concert.”

This year, the crowd is in for a show. Bessemer,Ala. native,Gucci Mane will be performing at this years post game concert. “I definitely look forward to seeing Gucci, it’s like a free concert, you can’t beat that,” Anthony added.

“I’ve cheered for ASU in the past, so it was always fun attending the different events like the banquets…This year I’m not going, but I do think it’s necessary for all students to attend MCC, it’s good to explore and a fun experience,” senior and former cheerleader, Tyler Richardson stated.

Besides the game and the parade attendees from both schools out together numerous tailgates. They camp outside of the the arena with camping trucks, tents, grills, music, and so much more. “That’s what I look forward to for the most part,” Senior, Mass Communications major, from Gary,Ind. says he excited about the tailgates.

Micah Tisdale is a senior Mass Communications major, from Montgomery,Ala. he stated “unfortunately I’ve never been to the Classic, but I would love to go because I know it’s apart of this schools tradition and I want to be apart of one of those memorable things, here at ASU.”

The MCC also brings the two universities together for a friendly competition. Students, alumni, and all attendees can pledge to stop distracted driving and help win up to $2,000 for their universities band.

“Honestly, my favorite part is the monetary donations for both school” Victoria Stovall, senior, form Atlanta, Ga. admitted.

Alabama A&M currently leads the MCC series with 39-34 and 4 ties

The 76th McDonald’s Magic City Classic will take place on Oct. 27 at 2:30pm. There will be special appearances by Faith Evans, Funny Maine, and 8ball and MJG.