SGA Senate approves Graduation Progress Bar and Fair Representation Acts

Kendal Manns, Editor-in-Chief

Alabama State University’s Student Government Association (SGA) Senate passed two bills in their Oct. 13 meeting – the Graduation Progress Bar Act and the Fair Representation Act. The Senate met in the SGA Conference Room to discuss the bills.
Senator-at-Large Kurtez Jones presented the Graduation Progress Bar Act, which is meant to provide students with the opportunity to see their progress toward graduation. According to Jones, the tracker would display a precise percentage of the remaining coursework for each semester and will be visible along with the transcript on Hornets Web.
Jones believes that this new bill will make things much easier for students that have had issues keeping track of their credits. It would replace the current system in place and the information would be put in by the Office of Records and Registration and the students’ advisers. There will be two tabs for the system, one for majors and the other for minors.
The Fair Representation Act was presented by Senator-at-Large and Pro-Tempora Jade Davis. According to Davis, the bill is meant to ensure that the student body has fair and equal representation with the SGA by requiring candidates for the Executive President and Executive Vice President to run separately.
This bill would reverse a previous one from 2019, called the Running Mate Act. In said bill, candidates for SGA Executive President and SGA Executive Vice President were required to run together on the same ticket. If a candidate does not have a running mate, they are not allowed to run.
Davis believes that people “running on their own and genuinely running for that platform and initiatives” are better than those “running with someone else to boost up their campaign or knowing.”
Senate members discussed two main issues during the ‘For the Good of the Order’ segment, the smell in the student cafeteria and the issues with the campus Wi-Fi.
Sen. Dasia Newell explained that she was told the university had been treating the smell with “chemicals,” but nothing has changed.
Senate President Trint Martinez inquired about moving the cafe, similar to the way it was done during the summer, but was told “no” due to lack of space and resources. The senators settled on starting a petition with the student body if the problem is not resolved by Oct. 19.
Wi-Fi issues campus-wide have been a constant issue for the student body all semester. In response to these issues, the Senate plans to be more vocal about the student’s displeasure with wifi and the issues that come from it. Senators mentioned when the Wi-Fi goes down, the keypads, cameras and doors stop working as well. They agreed that this inconvenience can cause safety concerns, with one senator detailing how someone in the Facility One had their television stolen due to their doors being open.