The Hornet Tribune

Filed under University News

Senate holds first meeting, confirms new senators

ity Student Government Association Student Senate confirmed several senators and Executive officers during its first meeting on Sept. 11.

The Student Senate confirmed three senators from the College of Business that included sophomore finance major Tyler Rice, marketing major Marymuha Muhammad, and business management major Zakiyah Stirrup.

One student from the College of Visual and Performing Arts, theater major Devin Glass-Rickett, was also confirmed.

The Student Senate confirmed five senators from the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. Those students are political science major Deboski Boyd, mass communications major Wynter Rudolph, mass communications major Fanekqua Woody, history major Trentqual Rhone and social work major Kevin Coleman.

One student from the College of Education, elementary education major Brianna Ellis was also confirmed by the Student Senate.

Many of those students who were up for confirmation had various reasons why they wanted to be senators.

“To serve as an advocate for the student body,”Rice said.

Coleman agreed.

“There’s been a lot of confusion lately, some students don’t know who to talk to, but i want to be the voice for those afraid to say something.”

Other senate officers were also confirmed. Brishanna Fondren was confirmed as the Senate Pro Tempore. The Senate Pro Tempore helps pass bills, holds meetings, etc.

Elyssia OmniEssence was also confirmed as the Chief of Staff. She ensured the senators that her previous organization skills will play a large part in her success, she will create committees within SGA that will have different responsibilities, which will decrease the responsibilities of one person and make communication more effective. These committees will bring in weekly reports that will keep the president from being overwhelmed.

Anfernee Green was confirmed as the director of communications for SGA. His goal is to change the culture and get students more involved, he wants students to work together.

Other positions that were not confirmed were the attorney general and some of the committee chairs.

The next senate meeting is scheduled for Sept. 28.