Twin Judges Keynote ASU Business College’s First Distinguished Alumni Lecture Series

Identical twins who are both ASU alumnae and both district court judges in Jefferson County speak Thursday -

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photography With TK

Photography With TK

Photography With TK

Staff Report

Join us at Alabama State University on Thursday as identical twins who both graduated from ASU – who both serve as district court judges in Jefferson County, Ala. –  BOTH come back to serve as dual keynote speakers at the Percy J. Vaughn Jr. College of Business Administration‘s (COBA) first-ever Distinguished Alumni Lecture Series.

Those who attend COBA’s inaugural event on Thursday (Oct. 17) from 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in the ASU John L. Buskey Hall’s auditorium, will be seeing double as the identical twin ASU College of Business alumnae – District Judge’s Shera Grant and Shanta Owens – share their knowledge and experience about the legal profession, public service, as well as their journey to the bench as separate district court judges on Jefferson County’s Tenth Judicial Circuit.

The event is free and open to the public.

The dean of the ASU College of Business Administration, Dr.­­­­­­ Kamal Hingorani, said the COBA’s lectures will tap ASU’s broad alumni base to bring distinguished speakers to campus each semester who can share their wisdom and insight with the University’s students and the wider community to inspire the next generation of ASU educated leaders.

“COBA takes great pride in the achievements of its graduates and finds tremendous value in connecting current students, faculty, and staff with the skills and expertise of our most accomplished alumni,” said Hingorani. “We encourage our successful alumni to help us develop ‘hunger’ in our students and for the students to understand that if they work hard they have the capacity to be successful and have an outstanding career.”

Both Grant and Owens graduated from ASU’s COBA. Both also graduated from law school at Louisiana State University (LSU). While Grant went to Atlanta after law school and Owens came back to their hometown of Birmingham, both ended up with jobs in the legal profession with both serving as district court judges.