Veteran editor-in-chief presents an expanded vision for the newspaper

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nefsa'Hyatt Brown enters her second year as editor-in-chief of The Hornet Tribune

David Evans/Chief Photographer

David Evans/Chief Photographer

David Evans/Chief Photographer

Corryn Carter, Staff Reporter/Writer

As The Hornet Tribune enters its 57th year, Editor-in-Chief Nefsa’Hyatt Brown looks forward to making her markon its legacy.

The junior political science major from Mobile, Ala., enters her second year as editor-in-chief with high hopes.

According to Brown, the staff has come a long way since her inaugural year.

“In the beginning it was really difficult because there wasn’t much of a staff.”

Upon arrival, Brown only had a staff of about four reliable news reporters. She recalls feeling unprepared and overwhelmed.

“I didn’t really have a lot of training from the previous editor,” Brown said “so it took a lot for me to understand what it means to be the boss and everything that entails, despite feeling like I wasn’t supposed to be because I didn’t have seniority.”

During her tenure, the staff has doubled, each staff member with his or her own specific strengths that she intends to use those strengths to her advantage.

“Because last year was my first year, it was difficult because I was just trying to put people in positions so that we could work, but this year, it’s about putting them in places where they will thrive.”

When asked about her goals for the newspaper, Brown said, “My goals for the newspaper are expanding our readership, consistent printing, and the expansion of our website.”

Brown wants the website, www.thehornettribuneonline.com, to be interactive, fresh and eye-catching for students.

“Expanding the website is really just maintaining it and updating it and making sure that we have a lot more eye-catching stories.”

The website features stories written by the news reporters of The Hornet Tribune and viewpoints from other various media publications across a variety of subject matter, including pop culture and politics.

Another one of her goals is to ensure that the newspaper has a sense of sustainability.

“My main goal as the editor is to ensure the longevity of the newspaper long after I’m gone. As cliche as it sounds, I am a firm believer in leaving things better than I found them and so far I that ideology has worked for me,” said Brown.

The Hornet Tribune, like most newspapers, usually faces pushback from a few organizations and on-campus entities, but Brown takes it all in stride.

“It means I’m doing my job,” Brown said, describing her approach as unbiased but emphasizes that she is an advocate for the student body. “No one group is being held to a higher standard than another; we’re really just here to report what’s going on and present the facts. I am never going to censor how the students feel, neither will I censor the truth.”

This term, Brown looks to take an investigative approach.

“As the media, we are known as the fourth branch of government, and I want our staff to be that beacon of light for the student body. This year we will decrease the number of events we cover and begin to write more issue based and current event stories. In this way, we can ensure that the student body knows what’s going on but act as a platform for expressing students concerns,” said Brown.

The Hornet Tribune General Manager Kenneth Dean offers high expectations for Brown as he moves into his second year with her at the helm.

“I usually recommend the chief editors to the Student Media Board and so far I have picked some outstanding students to head this publication,” Dean said. Nefsa’Hyatt is steadily increasing in knowledge about the newspaper, which helps tremendously when you are trying to publish on a regular basis. What is even more outstanding is that she is not a print journalism major, she is a poly sci major, but but she is learning the tricks of the trade quite well.”

Brown’s first issue of The Hornet Tribune will be released on Sept. 7 to the public.