The Hornet Tribune

Filed under Alumni

ASU Student Invited to MSI Graduate Student Weekend

Alabama State University senior Tommy Walker has been invited to attend the MSI Graduate Student Weekend, April 6-8 at the Penn Graduate School of Education (GSE) in Philadelphia. The weekend, hosted by the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions and Penn GSE, is designed for undergraduate students from Minority Serving Institutions interested in pursuing graduate and professional degrees in education.

Walker, a business-marketing education major from Gulfport, Miss., said this is an eye opening opportunity because he has plans to attend graduate school.

“Attending the MSI Graduate Student weekend will give me insight on how the world and the students that inhabit it, are changing outside of the southern region,” Walker said. “It also gives me the opportunity to interact with students from different backgrounds other than myself. Furthermore, it allows me to showcase my university as being the premier university in the country.”

During the weekend, Walker and other students will attend provocative and interesting sample classes, tours of the Penn campus, a “straight talk” student panel, Philadelphia trolley tour, dining out in Philly, a CMSI mixer and much more. There also is a session hosted by Penn GSE Admissions with complete information regarding the application process at Penn and financial aid. CMSI pays for all of the students’ expenses during the weekend to help them take their first steps towards a master’s or doctoral degree.